Local AM joins leading charity to keep constituents safe

In Wales, there were nearly 1,900 fires caused by electricity in Welsh homes over the last 5 years.

That’s why local Assembly Member for Monmouth, Nick Ramsay, made a point of visiting the recent drop-in session hosted by leading consumer safety charity, Electrical Safety First at the Assembly last week. 

“It’s been estimated that almost 30,000 Welsh homes are at potentially serious risk of fire due to old or damaged electrics”, explains Nick. “So, I wanted to  see how I can help keep my constituents – particularly those who are most vulnerable – safe.”

The drop-in marked the beginning of Electrical Safety Week Wales and offered AMs the opportunity to discuss the issues on why Wales has some of the highest number of fires caused by electricity, compared to other countries of the United Kingdom.

In a response to the Welsh Government’s report on this issue, the Charity has highlighted how fires in older housing stock in Wales (a significant proportion of which was built before 1919), is linked to deteriorating electrics.

Nick said: - “I back the Charity’s efforts again this winter during Electrical Safety Week Wales to keep my constituents safe. Taking simple steps like ensuring white goods are not used during the night, or when you go out of the house can help prevent fires in people’s homes in Monmouthshire.

The Charity is now calling on the Welsh Government to establish a dedicated scheme to fund electrical repairs in Welsh homes to protect the most vulnerable.

 

Attached photo shows Nick Ramsay AM at the event held at the Assembly last week